Monday, October 29, 2007

They are the same Nazi – Never forgive nor forget

Yesterday morning I was sent an article describing the last letter that 17 year old Communist French Resistance fighter, Guy Môquet sent to his family before he was shot. Guy was executed with 35 comrades in cold blood by the German Army on the 22 October 1941 near the waterfall in the Bois de Boulogne.

The letter is a huge issue in France since the new President, Nickolas Sarkozy, announced that all French high schools should read this letter out to their students each year. There has been justifiable criticism that Sarkozy is using this for political advantage. However, I think that the letter is so powerful that this does not really matter.

I have received few comments on this blog from people who claim to support the Nazi BNP even though they think that the BNP are not Nazi just misunderstood nationalists . At the risk of sounding like some middle aged patronising berk, most of these comments appear to be from young people. I have argued against these views. However Guy’s death and final letter may be more persuasive.

My dearest Mother, my beloved little brother, my beloved father.

I'm going to die! I'm asking you, especially Mother, to be brave. I am being so and I want to be just as brave as those who have gone before me. Of course I would have preferred to live. But what I want with all my heart is that my death serves some purpose. I haven't had the time to embrace Jean.

I embraced my two brothers in arms Roger and Rino. Alas, I wasn't actually able to embrace my real brother. I hope all my things are sent back to you, they will be of some use to Serge, who I trust will be proud to wear them one day.

Dearest Dad, although I've given you and Mum lots of troubles, I send you one last greeting. I hope you know that I have done my best to follow in your footsteps.

A last farewell to all my friends and to my brother who I love a lot. He should study hard so that he becomes a man later on.

17 and a half. My life has been short, but I have no regrets apart from leaving you. I'll be dying alongside Tintin and Michels. Ma, I'm asking you, and I want you to promise, to be brave and get over your pain.

I can't write any more. I leave you, Mother, Serge, Dad, embracing you with all my young heart. Be brave.

Your Guy who loves you.

Guy
"

Hat tip to Col Roi.

No comments: