Tuesday, April 29, 2008

48 hours to save London from Boris

Busy day, like many Labour activists I got just a little bit wet this morning delivering the last of our local ward leaflets.

I also thought that my time was finally up when I opened the garden gate of a terrace house, which had its front door slightly open. Once the gate closed behind me, the largest Alsatian dog known to man came charging out of the house barking furiously. I managed to make a very rapid retreat and ran out into the pavement and closed the gate behind me. As I did, I still thought I was doomed since the wolf was absolutely bloody enormous and could have easily jumped over the gate (or rather stepped over it).

However, it stayed in the garden, barking happily, obviously very pleased with itself for protecting its pack and lair from intruders. There was occasional semi-humanoid bleating noises from inside the house about “Rex – shut up” or something like that.

After work I spent part of the evening ringing up ward organisers and Party members trying to make last minute arrangements for tomorrow evening and Thursday.

Actually a lot of the hard graft has been carried out by our “Scottish Organisers”. Many, many thanks for their hard work and support.

I dropped off UNISON plastic bags full of Labour “eve of poll” postcards to volunteers on the way home. Had a conversation with a Party supporter and family (who also had to protect me from their family mutt) who were just incredulous that Boris had any chance of becoming mayor.

Many people think Boris is such a joke that he will never be elected. I gently remind people that in Hartlepool they elected a Monkey as a Mayor.

No comments: