Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy Hogmanay and Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Tonight I will be at the traditional grayee family outdoors BBQ (don’t ask). The temperature will fall to –4C tonight. Derek, my resourceful brother-in-law has an old oil drum which we use as a burning brazier to keep us “menfolk” warm while we burn the meat. So I will be seeing in 2009 on my very own mock “picket line”.

Frankly, I think we would all rather be warm indoors with the “women and children” but its “tradition” and I think the women enjoy watching us freeze and get a great deal of pleasure waving at us through the window.

It’s also traditional at this time to reflect on the past year and muse about the future one. I’ll do that another time.

I’ll just wish all my true comrades in the Branch, UNISON and the Labour Party (and everyone else) all the best for 2009. Rest assured that I will be toasting you all A guid New Year to ane an' a' and mony may ye see.

No comments: