Monday, September 21, 2009

Labour Party Conference 2009 – London Delegate Briefing.

It’s now less than a week away from Conference. Last Monday evening I went to the London Labour Party delegate briefing in the Victoria Street Party HQ.

I’ve been before to conference as a UNISON delegate but this year I am going on behalf of my CLP (Constituency Labour Party) West Ham. We were elected at this year’s CLP annual general meeting and I’m the general seat delegate while we also have a female and young labour delegate.

There was a good turnout of delegate for this briefing. I thought a good mix also of people, a noticeably large number of young members as well as a good representation of black and female delegates. Tower Hamlets and labour list blogger Dan McCurry was sitting behind me.

The briefing was addressed by Ken Clark (London Labour Regional Director), Steve Pound MP (Ealing North), Peter May (Regional officer) and Phil Dilks (Regional publicity). London Region of the Labour Party is sending the most delegates (95) and visitors (a massive 800 odd).

Steve Pound MP gave a presentation and he was as usual very good value. He promised us that we were at the “beginning of a great adventure” which we should all enjoy but he reminded us that we were there as representatives of our CLP’s and the wider Labour Party.

There was a lot of practical advice about pacing yourself (“wear comfortable shoes"), the security restrictions, attending fringes, dealing with the media and how to prepare and try to be selected for speaking at conference debates.

We also got a huge pile of conference guides, booklets and invites to various fringes to wade thorough.

I hope to blog on a regular basis during conference and may even “twitter” for the first time. So - as they say “watch this space”.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

John

In a way I admire the way you manage to be relentlessly positive about our party. I wish I could be. But the truth is that Conference seems utterly marginal. Until power is returned to the party members and affiliates its interest is largely I guess for the fringe events. When I see the media coverage it's just a reminder of the dismal state we have arrived at. This situation must be reversed, because, at the end of the day members do expect to have some kind of say in what a party does. If something is not done to redemocratise the Party I don't know what the future holds.

How refreshing (adding to my frustration actually) to see a LibDem MP on TV today, promising that the Clegg will be outvoted at Conference over tuition fees. How tragic that such things are now impossible in our party.

Nevertheless I hope you enjoy Conference and get something useful out of it. I look forward to your postings on it.

John Gray said...

Hi anon
I will admit to being a bit of a “conference junkie” but I do wonder what their true purpose is or should be?

In theory the Party’s current decision making process is more transparent and democratic than the bad old days of private late night meetings in smoke filled rooms.

Members from one side or the other have been upset and let down (or worse) with the Party since its creation and probably they always will be.

If I appear to be “relentlessly positive” (not sure I always am) about the Party it is because I am proud of the Party’s achievements. There have been of course mistakes and disappointments but I am convinced that our country is a much, much better place because of its existence.

So – more of the same please – onwards and forwards!

Anonymous said...

I see you've got a link to The Other Taxpayers Alliance on your page, but I can't find a blog post from you recommending people visit them. How about it? They look a great outfit.

Mike Law said...

John,

You frighten me...

John Gray said...

Hi Anon 07.29

Good point - yes, I must do so

Hi Mike

Sorry I scare you (not really)

Mike Law said...

John,

You're a drone...

John Gray said...

Hi Mike

"You really are something else... and in a way, I feel sorry for you.

When you cannot respond with a cogent and balanced reply you resort to playground tactics".

Now who said that!

Mike Law said...

I did.

And I don't see your point. You are a drone - my comment is to the point and succinct. Remember, I was a Labour Party member for twenty-odd years and in all that time I never came across anyone who accepts everything that is "NuLabour" with such zeal!

And as for your loyalty to Wales... I'm speechless!

John Gray said...

Hi Mike

You are just indulging in childish name calling! Attack the politics not the person.

(Not of course that Moi would do anything of the kind).

Mike Law said...

You're a hoot!

How could anyone attack: ID Cards; increase in the number of days one can be held without charge; ending the 10% tax rate for low earners etc etc etc?

John Gray said...

Hi Mike

That's better - argue about the Politics, the politics... for crying out loud.

If you were really secure in your beliefs you would not have this need to try and rubbish others about their personality rather than their arguments.

Mike Law said...

You are kidding...

A trawl through your blog and it's all personal sleights against "Tory boys" etc.

However, you are a great source of entertainment...

John Gray said...

Hi Mike

Yes, but I do it on the whole for amusement - not that I actually believe it.

Mike Law said...

Phew! And there was I, foolishly of the belief that your posts were sincere. I can sleep easy now that I know this blog is just a bit of a laugh...

John Gray said...

Hi Mike

of course they are - you don't think that I would respond to your comments for any other reason!!!

Mike Law said...

Takes all the fun out of posting comments - I'll just have to wait until you become a councillor.