Sunday, November 15, 2009

UNISON Leadership School Day 2 AM

I’ve posted here; here and here so far on issues relating to last week’s UNISON course in Stoke Rochford. I’ll try and post over the next week or so about what the rest of the course and what ideas and lessons I feel are important to the trade union movement.

I will also “attempt” to assess and think about how I try to organise in my workplace and my branch.

Obviously a public blog isn’t the place for a warts and all analysis but I think that there are some useful lessons that I have learnt which I can share. The usual health warning applies about this being my own subjective interpretation of what was going on. The course was very much a pilot and a learning experience for the union as well. Also it was very intensive and pretty knackering and some of my hastily typed notes may be misleading.

The Monday evening we had a team “Quiz night” on current affairs, politics, history, films and music etc. This was a good team building exercise. A positive feature about the course was that we were constantly split into new and different work groups. Our team did not win – we felt of course we were robbed of victory by very hard marking. It didn’t help that the other teams knew more of the answers.

The Tuesday morning activity was firstly about reflecting on ideas about leadership and applying them to our own work context. Then about applying the leadership theories we had learnt about the previous day to an “organising union” (IMO all activists in unions are leaders whether they like it or not). We were asked to reflect on what approaches to leadership do we see the most and what approach we would like to see develop – in others and around us and how to use this week to help achieve it.

I hold various positions in the union but with regards to my union role with my employer at this stage I concluded that the most common leadership model in our union is transactional. To face the current and future challenges our leaders needs to be more transformational. This has to be subject to collective and shared responsibility at all levels. Personally I need to communicate (talk) more face to face with members and potential members, delegate more, spend more time recruiting members, local contacts and reps while supporting existing reps. Collective action is difficult since we have a very complicated Group structure and members spread over dozens of different workplaces in a very wide geographical area. But we are getting there. All this is hardly rocket science but spending time thinking, discussing and sharing ideas with other experienced colleagues who are outside your own box about such strategic themes is one of the key positive experiences of this course. At the workplace you are constantly fire-fighting and find it difficult to find time to stop and think.

In the morning we were also allocated into project groups and tasked to develop a proposal or resource to help in promoting leadership in UNISON. We had to present our ideas to the rest of the course on the Friday morning during the final session. We also had useful a self assessment leadership questionnaire to fill out.

In the afternoon we had an enlightening presentation on “Trade Unions and transforming public services” which I will post about soon-ish.

(Course picture with our General Secretary Dave Prentis)

4 comments:

ian said...

Hi John

Im really pleased that Unison are adopting the organising agenda at last.I must admit though calling it'Leadership School' probably gives people the wrong impression of what the course is really about.

I have assisted in organising campaigns with mixed success so dont expect it to be an immediate cure to the Unions ills! I will be interested to hear more detail when you post it and compare it to what we do in Unite.

I would be interested to hear your view about extending organising into the communities and community campaigning. Its not just all Labour Party, even though that does form part of it if we as Trade Unionist have to reclaim the Labour Party back.

Regards

ian

John Gray said...

Hi Ian
I think that leadership and organising are really the same thing and we shouldn’t be scared to call activists “leaders”. The problem with us all being “organisers” is that it is often difficult to work out who has (dare I say) ownership or responsibility for stuff?

For example in the dim and distant past I have been to too many union meetings where the branch secretary is blamed for lack of recruitment by the branch committee while the secretary just bats it back and blames the committee. This was not collective or individual leadership and of course meant that we never really took recruitment seriously.

I will post more on the course and how I am trying to carry out the theory into practice. It’s motivated me to do stuff that I always knew I should have done but never quite got around properly to doing. It also made me think about organising in ways I have never thought about before.
Follow up and reinforcement by the union is probably crucial.

Community campaigning? In London you have respect the organising of TELCO or London Citizens who can fill halls up with thousands of supporters on decent issues such as the living wage. But (the big but) there are three problems I have with community organising - firstly what is the end game? What is their long term purpose? What is it all about? What are the politics?

Is it just about campaigning on social issues? If so fine – but working people need to be protected via the ballot box. They need to get their representatives (Labour Party of course) elected locally and nationally.

Second surely such bread and butter issues as low pay should be led by the Labour movement. They are doing what we should be doing: organising and campaigning about low pay is our job, our mission. If we let others do this it takes away to some degree our Raison d'ĂȘtre.

Thirdly the low paid will never be defended in the long term unless there is an effective trade union led organisation in place.

By all means we should be working with community and faith organisations and we should be ashamed of the vacuum that we have left for them to fill but we need to take the lead and set our agenda. IMO.

Tony C said...

John, an excellent and balanced response to Ian's interesting question about community organising. Surely this merits a thread of its own and not remain buried in a comments box? TC

John Gray said...

Hi Tony

Thanks for that - yes it would. I'm a bit behind posts at the mo. Will post something. I wonder if Ian has done anything on it I could cross post?

Ian...?