Friday, October 21, 2011

John's London Marathon 2012 blog

It will be 10 years since my first (and only) marathon. I have now obviously forgotten the agony and pain.  Certainly the promise - never, ever to even think of running one again!

I am aiming to take part in the London Marathon 2012. This time I will also be raising funds for “Alone in London”. (AIL)

This is an important youth homelessness charity that has been supporting young people since 1972. It provides a badly needed range of services to vulnerable young people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Last year they had contact with over 2000 such youngsters.  I suspect that with the continuing housing crisis and changes in benefits this demand will grow and grow. 

I am asking for donations from this JustGiving page which is here.  Donating through JustGiving is quite simple and safe. Make sure you that you use Gift Aid for AIL to get the tax relief. 

I am sure that some will sponsor me since they will like the idea of me suffering for 26 miles!

In 2002 I finished (very slowly and hobbling for the last 6 miles) at 4 hours 24 minutes.  Despite the extra decade I am aiming for under 4 hours this time!  The biggest problem I think will be the risk of injury while training.  I was supposed to run the marathon in 2001 but injured my knee. This time I will be following a 24 week training programme (from next Monday).  In the future months I will no doubt post on training from time to time.

p.s for the avoidance of any doubt I will not be raising money for the Tower Hamlets Mayor fund this time, no matter how worthy these charities will no doubt be :)

No comments: